In 1873 Alexandra Palace was built, 16 days later it was completely destroyed by fire, the palace was quickly rebuilt and it reopened on 1 May 1875. During the First World War the park was closed and the palace and grounds were used as an internment camp for German and Austrian civilians. In 1980 a second disastrous fire started and quickly spread, It destroyed half the Palace building. In 1990 an ice rink was installed.
Battledore where commissioned in 2010 to design and build a fully controlled class 1 high specification lighting scheme above Alexandra Palace Ice Rink, The design was to enable top level ice Hockey and Skating competitions to take place and to allow large numbers of spectators long viewing distances, With the lighting levels of 750 Lux this allowed television cameras to film without additional lighting.